Split, 02 April 2021 – a delivery ceremony was held yesterday at Brodosplit for Newbuilding 487, a passenger polar expeditions cruise vessel, which will be named “Ultramarine”. The technologically advanced vessel was contracted with the American company Quark Expeditions, a part of the Travelopia Group.
- Today, we took ownership of more than a new ship. We officially welcomed into our fleet a game-changing vessel that will soon become an unrivaled operational base for polar adventures. Every aspect of Ultramarine has been designed and engineered to enable our teams to get guests off the ship and deep into the polar wilderness better than ever before. This new vessel–in the hands of the most experienced team in the expedition industry–will allow us to create truly immersive off-ship adventures for our guests while providing them with a superior onboard experience, said Andrew White, President of Quark Expeditions.
The Ultramarine is 128 meters long and 21.5 meters wide and will be able to accommodate up to 200 passengers who will be cared for by 140 crew members in 103 luxuriously decorated cabins and public spaces and will have an incredible range of adventure options.
- When we laid the keel for the Newbuilding 487 last year, we were at the very end of the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic. At that time, no one thought the COVID-19 would continue to be one of the largest worldwide threats for such a long time. Since then, with all the limitations, dangers, and threats that the pandemic brought, we have managed to complete the construction of the Newbuilding 487, “Ultramarine”, which depicts the ability of Brodosplit to complete the ordered work in the most difficult conditions within the agreed deadlines, said Tomislav Debeljak, Brodosplit CEO.
The 128-meter (420 foot) Ultramarine will accommodate 199 guests, and will feature:
- Two twin-engine helicopters and two heliports:
The twoH145 helicopters, operated from two heliports, will allow more passengers to simultaneously experience new destinations accessible only by air, and to enjoy more unique aerial perspectives of the Polar Regions than on any other ship.
- Twenty quick-deploy Zodiacs:
The 20 quick-launching Zodiacs at four embarkation points mean the expedition team can load and embark Zodiacs faster, safer, and easier than ever before.
- The industry’s largest selection of adventure options:
Ultramarine, with its two helicopters and 20 quick-deploy Zodiacs, will offer the most robust portfolio of off-ship adventure options in the industry, allowing guests to customize their polar experience. These include flightseeing, heli-hiking, and helicopter-supported alpine kayaking, among others.
- Advanced sustainability features:
The vessel’s sustainability features include the Micro Auto Gasification System (MAGS), which is the industry-leading system that converts waste into energy at the site that it's generated. MAGs eliminate the environmental impact of waste transportation, offering an innovative sustainability feature that exceeds all industry standards.
The total value of the ship is over 100 million Euros, with 70 percent of the domestic component. The loan for the construction was provided by the Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (HBOR), and the Government of the Republic of Croatia passed the decision to provide the guarantee on 16 May 2018. Immediately after the delivery, the state guarantee is returned to the Government of the Republic of Croatia, which supported this project and enabled the financing of the construction of the Newbuilding 487.
- Thus, we have demonstrated the possibilities of Croatian shipbuilding, the possibilities of Brodosplit, which is growing to be the leader of European builders of polar cruisers, to the demanding world market, said Tomislav Debeljak, Brodosplit CEO.
Specializing in expeditions to the Antarctic and the Arctic, Quark Expeditions® has been the leading provider of polar adventure travel for three decades. With a diverse fleet of specially-equipped small-expedition vessels, icebreakers, and unique land-based adventures, Quark Expeditions offers travelers unparalleled access to the most remote places on earth. Led by passionate and experienced expedition teams, including scientists, naturalists and researchers, Quark Expeditions’ onboard program focuses on guest interaction to educate and enrich the passengers’ experience.